[Mongrel] Performance Tuning Mysql and how mongrel is effected

Michael Steinfeld mikeisgreat at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 13:55:34 EDT 2007

As a follow up from my previous post, I am pondering some changes to my env.

I read that with AR I should change the verification timeout to be
lower than the MySQL db Interactive_timeout. Now, I have done some
performancing tuning to mysql in LAMP env's but not RoR. MySQL typical
set the default interactive_timeout to 8hrs (28800) this has bitten me
a few times with sleeping processess or stale connections. What I have
done in the past was optimize mysql with the following variable
changes (/etc/my.cnf)

key_buffer = 256M

According to the mongrel docs it says to use 4hrs - assuming you
didn't edit mysql default settings- but what I am curious to know, is
what most people set this to, those of us who do performance tweak
their mysql servers. Also, if there is anything recommended
mongrel/rails specific.

ActiveRecord::Base.verification_timeout = 14400