[Mongrel] Issues with mongrel PID files when restarting clusters with Capistrano

Ryan abstractryan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 21:42:17 EDT 2007

Hey all:

When using capistrano and/or manually restarting mongrel clusters we
encounter errors when restarting that states:

** !!! PID file log/mongrel.8010.pid already exists.  Mongrel could be
running already.  Check your log/mongrel.log for errors.
** !!! Exiting with error.  You must stop mongrel and clear the .pid
before I'll attempt a start.
** !!! PID file log/mongrel.8011.pid already exists.  Mongrel could be
running already.  Check your log/mongrel.log for errors.
** !!! Exiting with error.  You must stop mongrel and clear the .pid
before I'll attempt a start.
** !!! PID file log/mongrel.8012.pid already exists.  Mongrel could be
running already.  Check your log/mongrel.log for errors.
** !!! Exiting with error.  You must stop mongrel and clear the .pid
before I'll attempt a start.

I then manually have to kill the processes, and if the pids are there, I
clean them out and restart without issue. However this only happens
intermittently. Both the server processes and the pid files are owned by
the mongrel user.

thanks for any insight.
Ryan