[Mongrel] Fastthread memory leak?

rubyforge at aanet.com.au rubyforge at aanet.com.au
Wed Mar 14 18:13:39 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have an app making extensive use of Mutex and was concerned about the
memory leak I have read about.  I saw some sample code to reproduce the
problem here: http://pastie.caboo.se/10194

So I thought I would run it myself to see the problem.

I do not see a memory leak when using the sample code, but if I require
"fastthread" before "thread" using fastthread (0.6.4.1) then I see the app
bleeding memory.

Here is the output from that program linked above (with time added in):

Using require "thread"
Max memory: 76.1 mb - climbed then stabilised after first "waiting" message
Output:
Starting threads
waiting for 1000 threads
waiting for 713 threads
waiting for 407 threads
waiting for 34 threads
Threads gone.
67 seconds

Using require "fastthread"; require "thread"
Max memory: 163 mb - continued to climb, never stopped
Output:
Starting threads
waiting for 1000 threads
waiting for 750 threads
waiting for 476 threads
waiting for 226 threads
Threads gone.
65 seconds

Using require "thread"; require "sync"
Max memory: 28 mb - climbed then stabilised after first "waiting" message
Output:
Starting threads
waiting for 1000 threads
waiting for 791 threads
waiting for 511 threads
waiting for 204 threads
Threads gone.
70 seconds

Interestingly I cannot reproduce this in Windows.

I have Linux (FC5), Ruby 1.8.5, fastthread (0.6.4.1).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, should I be posting this elsewhere?

Thanks,
Jason