[Mongrel] Getting Started without Rails

Johan Sørensen johan at johansorensen.com
Wed Mar 14 07:45:16 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Mar 14, 2007, at 12:36 AM, Michel Vaillancourt wrote:

> 	I'm looking for some help getting a non-rails Mongrel started...
> I can't seem to find the docs I need in my web searching...
> specifically need something that explains what files Mongrel
> expects to see where for a non-rails app to work.  Everything I
> have found is written on the premise of Mongrel with Rails (eg,
> http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/rdoc/index.html).
>
> ext2:/home/www/ruby/cosmogenesis# mongrel_rails start
> ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000
> ** Starting Rails with development environment...
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- /home/www/ruby/
> cosmogenesis/config/environment (LoadError)

Looks like you _are_ trying to use the rails handler for your non-
rails app. Your first step is to make your own mongrel handler for
your app. Looking at the handlers in the mongrel source (and mongrel
in general; reading the source is the easiest way to understand how
it works), and other frameworks like rails, merb, camping & nitro is
a good start.

I'd also suggest looking into rack (http://rack.rubyforge.org/) for
handling all those boring details.

JS