[Mongrel] Basic authentication with Apache and Mongrel

Niall O Broin niall at makalumedia.com
Mon Mar 12 19:14:59 EDT 2007

I recently moved an app. from lighttpd + fastcgi to apache 2.2 +
mod_proxy_balancer + Mongrel. On lighttpd, I was using basic
authentication with a configuration like this:

auth.backend = "htpasswd"
auth.backend.htpasswd.userfile = "/path/to/htpasswd"
auth.require = ("/" => ("method" => "basic", "realm" => "My Realm",
"require" => "valid-user"))

which was nice and simple - just as simple as using basic auth. with
a static Apache site.

Is there any way of doing such authentication with apache 2.2 +
mod_proxy_balancer + Mongrel ? All I've been able to find with google
suggests that I can't do this and I will require some app. level
authentication, and I really don't want to have to do that.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin