[Mongrel] bad URI(is not URI?): c:\boot.ini

Kris Leech krisleech at interkonect.com
Sat Mar 10 14:57:17 EST 2007

Filipe wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Kris Leech wrote:
>

>> Please note this message is not related to my previous one from
>> yesterday, this is on a different server (textdrive server).
>> I have only one mongrel application running but 'randomly' it will go
>> down, the mongrel.log file shows:
>>
>> ERROR: undefined method 'request_uri' for #<URI::Generic:0x5383948 URL:*>
>> ERROR: bad URI(is not URI?): c:\boot.ini
>> [FATAL] failed to allocate memory
>>

> someone is trying to read the partition boot of your windows. OH, it's a
> freebsd machine? I thing they didn't found anything then :D
>
> This fatal error occurs just after the request?

I'm not  really sure when its happening its kinda random in that the
site is up and working and then I'll get an email saying its down again.
There is no clear pattern to it going down. Not that I can currently see
anyway. And yes its FreeBSD.
So you are saying this is a hack attack of sorts? It is a very new site,
not even in google etc. yet, but maybe because it is on textdrive it is
being targeted. Having said that they would know Textdrive is on FreeBSD
and not Windows, so my guess is some kind of automated attack?
Is there anything I can do to stop it actually bringing the server down?