[Mongrel] Memory leaks in my site

Alexey Verkhovsky alexey.verkhovsky at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 11:52:09 EST 2007

On 3/8/07, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:

>  C'mon, Java processes typically hit the 600M or even
> 2G ranges and that's just common place.

Java runtime is a bloat. But its processes are natively multi-threaded and
can serve multiple apps from the same server. So, one Java process should
probably be compared with about 5-10 Rails processes in terms of RAM
footprint. It's still a bloat.

Even better, why are people complaining about the memory footprint of
> RAILS on the MONGREL mailing list?

Not guilty. In this thread, I am complaining about Mongrel's memory
footprint, not "Hello, World"'s. :)
Besides, I'm not even complaining, just trying to understand the ins and
outs of this stack, and what can or cannot be squeezed out of it.

By the way, I hope load balancing solutions are not off-topic? :)

Alex