[Mongrel] Long URLs - New to Mongrel

Brad Ediger brad at bradediger.com
Wed Mar 7 10:20:31 EST 2007

FYI, from RFC 2616 section 3.2.1: (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/

The HTTP protocol does not place any a priori limit on the length of
a URI. Servers MUST be able to handle the URI of any resource they
serve, and SHOULD be able to handle URIs of unbounded length if they
provide GET-based forms that could generate such URIs. A server
SHOULD return 414 (Request-URI Too Long) status if a URI is longer
than the server can handle (see section 10.4.15).

Note: Servers ought to be cautious about depending on URI lengths
above 255 bytes, because some older client or proxy implementations
might not properly support these lengths.