[Mongrel] Long URLs - New to Mongrel

Joe Lester joe_lester at sweetwater.com
Wed Mar 7 08:02:23 EST 2007

My rails web app (rails 1.2.1) uploads an image from a Java applet by
encoding it into the URL. This works fine when I'm using Webrick. I'm
trying out Mongrel today, and I'm getting an error in Safari that
says “lost network connection” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1005). I get
something similar in Firefox. Is there a way to make Mongrel accept a
really long URL like this?

Thanks. Joe.

I'm encoding the 512 x 512 jpeg image as Base64. The long URL is
something like...

http://localhost/account/upload?image=%2F9j%2F4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD%
2F2wBDAAEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQ
EBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQH%
2F2wBDAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQ
EBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQH%2FwAARCAIAAgADASIAAhEBAxEB%
2F8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAECAwQFBgcICQoL%
2F8QAtRAAAgEDAwIEAwUFBAQAAAF9AQIDAAQRBRIhMUEGE1FhByJxFDKBkaEII0KxwRVS0fA
kM2JyggkKFhcYGRolJicoKSo0NTY3ODk6Q0RFRkdISUpTVFVWV1hZWmNkZWZnaGlqc3R1dnd
4eXqDhIWGh4iJipKTlJWW......... [much more]

When the URL is long, the action is not called in rails. But, if I
remove the image from the URL, then the action is called.