[Mongrel] [PIMP] Topfunky's httperf PeepCode screencast

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Mar 6 14:08:24 EST 2007

Hey Everyone,

Topfunky (Geoffry) has created a great PeepCode screencast on using
httperf to performance measure your web applications:

Topfunky put a ton of work into this and really got it right.  The
attention to detail is very good and he researched the subject
thoroughly.  I also spent time reviewing it so that he'd get the
statistics right, but he did a lot more than I expected.

The main thing that you'll get from his screencast is the actual
*process* of doing an analysis and then determining if there's
differences.  He shows graphs, takes notes, covers basic statistics,
and shows you how to figure out how fast your Mongrel setup can go.
It's much better watching someone else do it than reading a description.

Everyone who constantly asks about how to performance measure their web
apps should grab it and go through it.

Why am I pimping it so hard?  First, he's giving me a cut of the dough
and a brotha's gotta eat.  :-)  Second, it is probably the first
description of performance measurement and analysis I've seen that
actually gets it right.

Thanks for your time, and enjoy the day.