[Mongrel] Memory leaks in my site

Joey Geiger jgeiger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 10:50:52 EST 2007

I've got issues with my rails application leaking memory as well. I
can say it's not Mongrel's fault, as I was able to duplicate the
situation in Webbrick.

My problem happens because I'm using monit to make sure my site stays
up, but in doing so, monit hits each of my mongrels every minute. I
thought the memory issues had to do with images, send_data or
something else, and what I found, is that on a site that does nothing
but respond to this monit controller, the memory grew and grew.

I'm guessing it has to do with the plugins I'm using, as when I tried
the same thing on a fresh rails application, the memory grew, but
capped off at about 35MB, where the full application loading all
plugins continued to grow until I killed it, never recovering memory.

So, for now, monit is the cause and solution to my memory problems. I
was thinking about trying to create a handler for mongrel that monit
can hit to verify that it's running, but then there's the possibility
that mongrel is up, but my application is down.

My other issue with using monit are the constant hits to the log
files, which logger.silence doesn't help (at least the methods I've
tried) If someone knows how to silence a controller completely, I'd
love to know.

Right now I'm a bit busy, but I think it would be a good test to add
my plugins one at a time to a fresh application and check the memory
usage after hitting it with a few thousand hits from apache bench.