[Mongrel] Memory leaks in my site

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 00:45:07 EST 2007

On 3/6/07, Ken Wei <2828628 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> My environment is ruby-1.8.4, rails 1.2.2, mongrel 1.0.1, linux 2.6. Now, i
> have a problem on memory leaks with mongrel. My site is running 5 mongrel
> processes on a 2G RAM machine, the memory of each process grows from about
> 20M to about 250M, but it never recover to the initial 20M, so i had to
> restart the mongrel processes once per day. The load is about 1M hits per
> day.

Hello Ken,

A few things you share about your site are:

1) Using RMagick? or perform any other image manupulation/thumbnailing?
2) have fastthread gem installed?
3) perform file uploads thru rails? Or use send_file or file sending
of dynamic files from rails.

With that information other users on the list could share their
experiences, since every application uses different gem, libraries or
utilities, and offer a generic answer without deeper knowledge of the
problem is impossible.

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.