[Mongrel] mongrel tuning with httperf - suspicious results

Erik Hetzner erik.hetzner at ucop.edu
Fri Jun 29 13:56:26 EDT 2007

At Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:37:03 -0500,
"Mike Roeder" <mcroeder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Alex -
>
> I must have missed the num-calls value on my initial reading of the
> man page for httperf. I suppose my real question is more along the
> lines of the fact that I suspected the Request Rate to be
> significantly higher than 1.7requests per second, especially in
> light of request rate for a page served only by apache (closer to
> 3000 requests per second). Per the tuning document, if my
> mongrel-served requests per second are HORRIBLY slower than the
> apache numbers, there's tuning to be done. If anyone has a thought
> on where this tuning might occur, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for
> your help.

Apache serving static files is very fast (two orders of magnitude
faster than any given rails+mongrel app).

** See what kind of numbers you can get out of a single mongrel
   instance. **

Also, in my experience, sending requests at too high a rate can cause
a server’s response rate to go down; try 10/s on a single server & see
if that works. Then bump it up.

Search the mongrel-users archives for many pointers to using httperf
with mongrel.

And if you still are getting horrible numbers, try ruby-prof to
profile you application. It is often the case that you can isolate a
few terrible methods which are taking up most of your server’s time.

best,
Erik Hetzner