[Mongrel] Mongrel_cluster and rails app in a subdirectory

Sean Brown seanmichaelbrown at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 10:14:50 EDT 2007

Info:

Apache 2.2
mongrel 1.0.1
mongrel_cluster 0.2.1

I've had everything working with a bunch of applications like this
when the the rails app is the document root, but a client just asked
to move the app to a subdirectory, leaving he rest of their site
alone.  However, I can't seem to get it to work.  Let's make the
assumption that the Apache document root for the site is in
/www/htdocs, and the Rails root is /www/ror_root.  Further lets say
the client wants the application to be found at
http://mysite.com/railsapp.

This is what I have in the mongrel_cluster.yml

---
user: mongrel
cwd: /www/ror_root
port: "8008"
environment: production
group: mongrel
address: 127.0.0.1
pid_file: log/mongrel.pid
servers: 2
prefix: /railsapp

Here's what I have in the apache config:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin me at mysite.com
    DocumentRoot /www/htdocs
    ServerName mysite.com

    <Directory "/www/htdocs">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

    <Directory "/www/ror_root/public">
        Options FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteLog  /www/logs/rewrite.log
	ProxyPass /railsapp/ balancer://railsapp
	ProxyPass /railsapp balancer://railsapp
	ProxyPassReverse /railsapp/ balancer://railsapp
	ProxyPreserveHost On

	<Proxy balancer://railsapp>
	  BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8008
	  BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8009