[Mongrel] mongrel cluster w/ apache

Michael Bannister mikebannister at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:16:32 EDT 2007

hi all,

i'm working on deploying my app w/ apache and a mongrel cluster. i've
started by copying the instructions and code from the agile rails book
and everything seems to be working fine but apache isn't forwarding my
requests to mongrel the way i expect it should. there's nothing in the
rewrite logs and nothing but 404 errors in the apache error logs.

http://127.0.0.1:8000/railsaction/railsmethod

...loads up my app in mongrel so all is fine there. i'm thinking
apache should have no problem when i browse to:

http://elsewhere.thealarmlights.net:555/railsaction/railsmethod

i get 404 errors...

is there some special incantation necessary to make this work?

the relevant parts of my apache config follow:

<Proxy balancer://mongrel_cluster>
  BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8000
  BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8001
</Proxy>
<VirtualHost *:555>
  ServerName thealarmlights.net
  DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/weposs/current/public
  <Directory "/usr/local/www/weposs/current/public" >
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
  </Directory>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteLog logs/weposs_rewrite_log
  RewriteLogLevel 9
  # Check for  maintenance file and redirect all requests
  RewriteCond  %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/system/maintenance.html -f
  RewriteCond  %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !maintenance.html
  RewriteRule  ^.*$ /system/maintenance.html [L]
  # Rewrite index to check for static
  RewriteRule ^/$ /index.html [QSA]
  # Rewrite to check for Rails cached page
  RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]
  # Redirect all non-static requests to cluster
  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://mongrel_cluster%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]
</VirtualHost>

if anyone can help me sort this i'd appreciate it so much. i worked so
hard to get this far (and learned a lot) but i'm stuck pretty bad at
this point.

thanks.

-mike bannister