[Mongrel] GemPlugin or Mongrel::HttpHandler subclass

Matt Zukowski mzukowski at urbacon.net
Tue Jul 24 11:39:11 EDT 2007

I'd strongly recommend using Camping over Rails. We wrote a similar
application (RubyCAS-Server -- the CAS protocol uses conversational
HTTP), and Camping was definitely the way to go. The main problem with
Rails is that it's not asynchronous. Rails can't talk and listen at the
same time, at least not within the same transaction. You might be able
to get around this, but you'll probably find yourself doing all kinds of
gymnastics. Camping doesn't have this problem. It's much better suited
for these kinds of faceless apps anyway, since it's not weighed down by
all the UI niceties you get with Rails.