[Mongrel] Capistrano mongrel recipes and /usr/local/bin

Wayne E. Seguin wayneeseguin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 20:09:34 EDT 2007

On Jul 09, 2007, at 16:11 , Nicolas St-Laurent wrote:
> Well, not really. I already set my path correctly. When I'm ssh
> logged with the user I use for my capistrano deployment, my path is :
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/home/myuser/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/
> bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/opt/gnome/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/
> sbin:/usr/local/java/bin.
> But, it goes to :
>>> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
> in Capistrano's run method.
> bash_rc and bash_profile doesn't do the same job in Bash. bash_rc is
> sourced everytime a shell is started while profile is sourced only on
> login.
> My path is define in /etc/profile instead of locally in user account
> so that every users got almost the same path. It's the default
> setting on a Suse distro.
> Since Mongrel's recipes use a send(run_method, "cmd") and other
> Mongrel users should have the same issue, I was asking on this
> mailing list. I will ask on Capistrano mailing list.
> Thanks for your time,
> Nicolas

There is one more thing you can try, although I haven't experienced
your issue you can try this inside capistrano:

default_environment["PATH"] = "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/

I'm assuming you're using Cap2, and if you're not then: why not!? :)

Let me know if this helps, and yes this should have been in the
Capistrano list :)

Wayne E. Seguin
Sr. Systems Architect & Systems Admin
wayneseguin at gmail.com