[Mongrel] Capistrano mongrel recipes and /usr/local/bin

Wayne E. Seguin wayneeseguin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:34:28 EDT 2007

On Jul 09, 2007, at 15:18 , Nicolas St-Laurent wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback.
> Well, /usr/local/bin is already in user's path. But since PATH is
> define in /etc/profile, it ain't define when a subshell is started,
> hence a run "echo $PATH" gives the default path :
> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
> I certainly miss something, but I doesn't know what. I'm on SuSE
> Entreprise 64bits, but I've got the same issue on Mac OS X, Ubuntu or
> Debian.

You are most welcome.

Usually you'd put your path extensions inside .bash_profile
or .bash_rc like so:

Then, when you login next it should be sourced (or you can do
manually via "source ~/.bash_profile" for the current session) you
should see this:

 > echo $PATH

( assuming that "echo $PATH" originally produces: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/
sbin:/sbin )

In this example /usr/local/bin will be searched first, of course you
can set it last also by appending instead of prepending.

Let me know if this helps.

Wayne E. Seguin
Sr. Systems Architect & Systems Admin
wayneseguin at gmail.com