[Mongrel] 503 Errors While Cluster Is Still Active

Matthew McKnight matt.mcknight at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 23:43:02 EDT 2007

I am not an Apache expert, but I have had much success with the method
preached on the mongrel site: http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/apache.html for
using mod proxy balancer.  You can mess with the timeout settings very
easily there, so apache will wait a bit longer before reporting back a 503.
I looked at the instructions on mediatemple, and they seemed a bit
inadequate. Do you have Apache 2.2.3 on your VPS?

On 7/6/07, Justin Williams <carpeaqua at gmail.com> wrote

> I've got three Mongrels spawned, each hovering around 40MB each.  I
> also just checked memory usage, and that doesn't seem to be an issue
> at all.
>
> When I try to pound the server, it's not killing off the processes,
> which is what is weird to me.    Usually when I get the 503 error it
> is because mongrel isn't spawned, but in this case all the processes
> are up and running fine, and the connection works about half the time.
> It's just every few actions it will fail.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> - j
>
> On 7/6/07, Will Green <will at hotgazpacho.com> wrote:
> > VPS you say? How much memory do you have allocated to you? Rails takes A
> > LOT of memory. I've seen Mongrels running rails eating up 20 Mb EACH for
> > *very* simple actions. I recall people on this list mentioning 50+ Mb
> > when RMagick is involved.
> >
> > Make sure you're not hitting the memory limit on your VPS, which
> > triggers killing off the process, or parts thereof.
> >
> > ==
> > Will Green
> >
> > Joey Geiger wrote:
> > > I get that when I start up apache and there isn't a mongrel available
> to answer.
> > >
> > > I think in your case it may be that all your mongrels are busy, and
> > > it's letting you know that.  You might need to add more mongrel
> > > processes to see if it helps, but that may be an issue if you're only
> > > running on a VPS with 64MB.... Mongrel w/rails starts at 32mb and
> > > grows for me, so it seems you could have 2 running before you get into
> > > performance issues...

> --
> -
> Justin Williams