[Mongrel] 503 Errors While Cluster Is Still Active

Joey Geiger jgeiger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 18:39:14 EDT 2007

I get that when I start up apache and there isn't a mongrel available to answer.

I think in your case it may be that all your mongrels are busy, and
it's letting you know that.  You might need to add more mongrel
processes to see if it helps, but that may be an issue if you're only
running on a VPS with 64MB.... Mongrel w/rails starts at 32mb and
grows for me, so it seems you could have 2 running before you get into
performance issues...