[Mongrel] how many Mongrels?

Giles Bowkett gilesb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 19:04:25 EDT 2007

Hi - I've got a pretty popular Rails app on a Mongrel cluster with
Apache and mod_proxy_balancer. How do I decide how many Mongrel
servers to put in the cluster?

I don't have stats for the number of requests hitting the server yet,
but I should have that data soon. The server has 2GB of RAM and has to
do a lot of work with RMagick, including generating and storing lots
of images. My predecessors put all of the image storage on the
filesystem, and I won't be able to change that right away.

Any & all help massively appreciated.

Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org