[Mongrel] Update for thread: Multiple rails apps with Mongrel

Josh Richard jrichar4 at d.umn.edu
Tue Jan 30 15:39:52 EST 2007

Thanks to all involved with Mongrel.

Hi Tony,

This appears to clear up a lot of issues I have regarding how to setup a
box with the configuration below.  Thanks.  That being said, I have a

About my deployment:
Debian, Apache 2.2, Mongrel Cluster 0.2.1 (3 mongrels per app), mongrel
1.0.1.  At this time, I have a test app lives in /var/www/rails/app1

I am able to see the app1 configuring mongrel with the --prefix options
following your instructions.  However, I can not see the /images
directories since the code has references to /images/foo.png

I suspect the issue is with Apache.  In the apache config I have an
/images alias:

Alias /images  /var/www/rails/app1/current/public/images

I also have a /stylesheets alias which appears to be working.

There was talk in the list:
this does not seem right given the fact I am using mongrel_cluster.

I could easily change the links, and image references but that seems
kludgy.  My goal here is to not break the 'mongrel_rails start'
development feature from the local copy and have the deployment
enviroment (Apache) handle the site specific stuff.

I am confused between using ProxyPass or a rewrite rule given this
deployment. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Josh Richard
University of Minnesota Duluth, MN USA