[Mongrel] primary bonus of mongrel 1.0.1?

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Jan 26 22:39:09 EST 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:57:51 -0700
"Kyle Kochis" <kylekochis at gmail.com> wrote:

> "First, really they should do their own research and try it in a test
> scenario.  Reading a changelog isn't going to help their anxiety over
> the upgrade.  I never read changelogs since half the time they lie
> about the new version's actual stability and improvements for *my*
> application.  Instead I test the new software and if it works then I
> plan an upgrade very carefully."
> I agree with you on the stability lying on many changelogs but still
> it is nice as a user to know _exactly why_ a new version was released.
> It is nice to have that info just so you know exactly how
> important/urgent it is to upgrade so I can more appropriately
> prioritize my administration tasks. That said, I am by no means
> requesting you do things differently; I am perfectly fine looking
> through the svn logs at svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/mongrel.

is what, and

is why.

That's really the best I can do without help.  I have to automate things, and svn changelogs blow so I'm stuck.  Without automation I'd be burdened with writing this same information over and over again in various forms.  Considering there's a wealth of change information including svn logs, atom feeds, news announcements, bug trackers, forums, and mailing lists it's not like there's nothing.  So, I tell people if that's not enough, then your requirements are exceptional and you should do something for yourself to solve the problem.

But, one thing I don't hear is a solution.  Just a criticism.  If you've got a particular tool that automates change logging the way you like it and want to do the work to get it implemented in the mongrel build process then step up and help.  Otherwise, what I got is the best I can do given my time constraints.

In other words, criticism without a proposed solution or assistance is meaningless.