[Mongrel] primary bonus of mongrel 1.0.1?

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Jan 26 21:18:38 EST 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:23:48 -0800
Andy Koch <andy.koch at pc-doctor.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've completed the update of all my servers to the new mongrel.  No
> problems whatsoever to report, well done.
>
> But, I have some colleagues who are wondering what the primary
> improvements are to mongrel with this new release.
>
> I read the Change log but it was a bit cryptic for me.
>
> Can anyone provide an executive summary of why 1.0.1 is better than 0.3.xx?
>
> a few main bullet points would do fine...

First, really they should do their own research and try it in a test scenario.  Reading a changelog isn't going to help their anxiety over the upgrade.  I never read changelogs since half the time they lie about the new version's actual stability and improvements for *my* application.  Instead I test the new software and if it works then I plan an upgrade very carefully.

Second, they sound like the kind of cats who shouldn't upgrade.  If everything works for them and there's no problems then there's no point.  When they do go with an upgrade they should test everything out again before moving to the new version.  If they're seeing memory hogging, stuck processes, or other similar problems then they should upgrade.

Third, there aren't major improvements in Mongrel directly, just mostly fine tuning and touch-ups.  The main improvements come from fastthread which Mongrel will use if installed.  I think that right there should be the biggest reason to move to 1.0.1.

Finally, if they want support from people on the mailing list or from me they should upgrade so we know what we're dealing with.

--
Zed