[Mongrel] Most reliable setup for mongrel

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 01:41:59 EST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 10:24 PM, snacktime wrote:

> I'm looking for the most reliable setup for Mongrel.  Reliable meaning
> avoiding things like sending too many requests to a single mongrel
> process, or sending requests to a mongrel process that has hung for
> some reason.  The handler will most likely be rails, but it might be a
> custom handler.  SSL is also a requirement, which limits the options a
> bit but it can't be done away with.
> I spent some time looking at using the proxy balancer in apache, and
> it appears that the balancer can pile up requests on mongrel because
> there is no way to tell apache to not send more than one request at a
> time to any single balance member.  I'm also not sure how well things
> are handled if a mongrel process hangs in some way.  Not that it would
> of course:)
> Suggestions?
> Chris

	Haproxy is a software proxy that can do the right thing and not
overload mongrels. But it is not a webserver. I have used it behind
nginx. So nginx or apache proxy to one haproxy and then haproxy does
the load balancing in a more inteligent way then apapche ro nginx can
do right now.

	But Igor the author of nginx said that he will be adding a max-load
to the ngixn proxy module which you could set to one and then ngxin
would queue requests instead of mongrel and only send requests to
mongrels that are not busy. This will be the best option with the
least moving parts once he adds this feature.

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- ez at engineyard.com
-- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting