[Mongrel] Mongrel with mephisto on a Virtual Private Server

Charles Brian Quinn me at seebq.com
Fri Jan 26 00:10:59 EST 2007

Apache 2.0.x has mod_proxy which will allow you to proxy a single
request.  I use it all the time.  IMHO, perfectly fine for a single
instance blog.

Apache 2.1 and above (so 2.2.2, 2.2.3, and 2.2.4) have this new
fangled mod_proxy_balancer which let's you perform a "load" balancing
of sorts and let apache do some serving of images and cached pages.
Many of the other lightweight frontends like nginx, pound, and pen do
a similar software load balance (and there's talk of lighttpd's
proxy_core getting rewritten to do a similar round-robin, balancing
load proxy).

Regardless, don't load balance your blog yet -- you need metrics
before you blow all your RAM serving up 8 mongrel instances when only
one will ever get used.  No offense, meant, honestly.  I'm just
saying.  ;-)

cheers!