[Mongrel] The Debian Plan - reloaded

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at gwolf.org
Thu Jan 18 20:39:16 EST 2007

Chad Woolley dijo [Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 01:15:33PM -0700]:
> > I imagine that what is said will reduce down to something like this:
> > "Provide a patch that retains the ability to selectively require
> > certain versions or version ranges, yet provides the version
> > specification freedom that you think should exist, and we'll consider
> > it."
>
> You are probably right.  However, the RubyGems "Rational Versioning
> Policy" ( http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/7 ) doesn't seem to account
> for the beta/release candidate phase of the development cycle for a
> post-1.0 release.  It looks like the best you can do is to assume that
> any x.0.0 release is a release candidate, and should be treated as
> such.  However, there's still no standard way for a gem developer to
> indicate that a given post-x.0.0 version is now REALLY finished, and
> should be safe for widespread use.

Would not make too much sense, still - What one author considers to be
1.0-ready will still be 0.1-like for another author's standards. No,
the only thing worth requesting is IMHO to keep sanity - Debian
introduced the useful-but-for-me-still-worth-avoiding ~ syntax, made
to accomodate some upstream strange practices - The ~ character sorts
version-wise just before the exact version number preceding it. So you
have:

0.99 < 1.0~beta1 < 1.0~beta3 < 1.0~beta3~almost < 1.0

Greetings :)

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf at gwolf.org - (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23