[Mongrel] The Gentoo/FreeBSD Plan - reloaded

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at gwolf.org
Thu Jan 18 20:11:15 EST 2007

carmen dijo [Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:07:08PM -0500]:
> > the other important reason for hooking into gems, besides
> > maintainer sanity, is to allow the user to mix and match between
> > installation methods. what happens when the user installed mongrel
> > bypassing gems, then installs camping? im pretty sure it installs
> > mongrel again, and then when they get a bug they dont even know
> > which version is being used..
> the Gentoo method isnt perfect - it fails in the inverse scenario
> where youve installed everything via gems, then want to install
> something through portage that depends on installed gems (stuff gets
> reinstalled). the other problem is its tied to hardcoded version
> numbers in the ebuild filenames. theres no way for it to discover
> that newer versions of the gems exist. does freeBSD solve either of
> these problems?

I agree with your points... But anyway, that's one of the reasons
Debian is so different from Gentoo/FreeBSD (with their source-based
packaging systems). Yes, it would be unfair to plainly state that we
pursue an unbreakable system while you don't, and it would surely lead
to a flamefest ;-) Just please take a look at the two following pages,
which explain the rationale behind our requests:

Gunnar Wolf - gwolf at gwolf.org - (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23