[Mongrel] mongrel memory usage ballooning and process stomping

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 16:15:31 EST 2007

On Jan 18, 2007, at 12:28 PM, Joey Geiger wrote:

> Is mongrel not releasing the memory used for these operations? I need
> to use send_file to stream some static images (4k max) (approved,
> declined, etc) which rails then turns into new cached images. This
> allows a group of people to get the current status of an item via html
> email with images. It's a neat hack, but I'd like to make it better.

	For small 4k images that you cache after the first time they are
streamed then I would not worry about it. Those should be fine. And
mongrel+ruby does its bet to release memory used in this way. It's
when you are constantly streaming data without caching it, that can
cause slow memory buildups and the only way to reclaim the mem is to
restart the mongrels. This is not entirely mongrels fault though.
Ruby is pretty bad at releasing memory once it has it. Especially if
you are swamping it so the GC can't keep up.

	But 4k and cached I think should be fine. Are you experiencing leaks?

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- ez at engineyard.com
-- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting