[Mongrel] mongrel memory usage ballooning and process stomping

Michael Biven michael.biven at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 13:36:24 EST 2007

How are the mongrel started (cron, launchd, etc)? I had something
similar happen to me, but I think it was from the cluster being
started by root instead of the user I wanted to start it. It gave me
an extra set of mongrel processes running that mongrel_rails
cluster::stop wouldn't stop.

Michael B.

On 1/17/07, Surendra Singhi <singhi.surendra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have mongrel 0.3.14, with ruby 1.8.5, rails 1.1.6 and mongrel cluster
> 0.2.1, on debian sage 3.1 with apache 2.0, and fastthread 0.6.1.
> I am load balancing 3 mongrel processes using the random port trick.
>  When I start mongrel the processes have about 60MB, but after some hour of
> usage the memory ballons upto more than 180MB and the site becomes terribly
> slow. Forcing me to restart mongrel cluster.
> Also, it reports me 9 mongrel processes instead of three. I am not able to
> understand why that's happening. Are really 9 mongrel processes started
> instead of three?
> Please help. Thanks.

Michael Biven
michael.biven at gmail.com