[Mongrel] The Debian Plan - reloaded

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 15:15:33 EST 2007

On 1/15/07, Kirk Haines <wyhaines at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/15/07, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'll point this thread out to the RubyGems list, I'm curious what they
> > would have to say.  At a minimum, I think the RubyGems versioning
> > standard docs could use some clarification.
> I imagine that what is said will reduce down to something like this:
> "Provide a patch that retains the ability to selectively require
> certain versions or version ranges, yet provides the version
> specification freedom that you think should exist, and we'll consider
> it."

You are probably right.  However, the RubyGems "Rational Versioning
Policy" ( http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/7 ) doesn't seem to account
for the beta/release candidate phase of the development cycle for a
post-1.0 release.  It looks like the best you can do is to assume that
any x.0.0 release is a release candidate, and should be treated as
such.  However, there's still no standard way for a gem developer to
indicate that a given post-x.0.0 version is now REALLY finished, and
should be safe for widespread use.

-- Chad