[Mongrel] The Debian Plan - reloaded

Filipe filipe at icewall.org
Mon Jan 15 08:05:55 EST 2007

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Chad Woolley wrote:

>>> There's also a problem with how Rake and/or rubygems likes its version numbers.  It won't accept ~rc1 style endings for various design reasons.
>>
>> Hum... then -rc1? :D Well, I take a look at this when generating the rake
>> task.
>
> I *THINK* this is not the rubygems standard.  See this:
>
> http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/16
>
> I also *THINK* these constraints are due to the way RubyGems allows
> specification of variable gem version, for example, "> 0.1.0" or "=
> "1.0.1".  If they allowed people to put random character strings in
> version numbers that logic couldn't work.

Well.... but rubygems doesn't defines the way to versioning release
candidates. Actual release candidate 1 is called  mongrel-1.0.gem. So,
how will be called release candidate 2? mongrel-1.0.1.gem? Or it will
have the same name?

> That brings up a couple of questions that I'd like to know the answers to:
>
> 1. Why does debian or apt need to distinguish between release
> candidates?  Is this automatically tied to -dev packages or something?

No, it's just because we've a file called watch, with this content:

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/gems/mongrel-([0-9\.]*)\.gem

And a tool that checks the site and remind me that there is a new
version.

Ow, and the package version in debian always has the same version than
upstream. So I thought it is someway stranger to have a release
candidate package called "1.0".

> 2. How are rubygems supposed to indicate release candidates, or beta
> or whatever you call something that is pre-release?

Don't know. Rubygems policy doesn't say anything about this. At least
points 5 and 6... it just says that "Any public release of a gem
should have a different version. Normally that means incrementing the
build number.".

filipe lautert

filipe { AT } icewall.org
Linux User        #279798