[Mongrel] The Debian Plan - reloaded

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Jan 12 13:07:16 EST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:01:59 -0200 (BRST)
Filipe <filipe at icewall.org> wrote:

I finally have time to answer this...

> So, we have some favors to ask from you (the mongrel developers), as
> those favors are not big things:
>
> * Could you please upload tar.gz files together with your gems files?

As an open source contributor, I know you feel like donating some time to make this happen.  If you write the rake file task and patch that creates the tar.gz with the proper version number and puts it into pkg/ then I'll run that task for you and upload the file.  That way you get control over how you like it packaged rather than me doing it 20 times until you say it's nice.

Otherwise, I tag each release in svn.  Maybe you cold convince the debian build system to use that.  Should be easier as well since you don't have to troll a download page.

> * In this tar, could the files be with the current date, not in year
> 1969? :D tar complains a lot about this...

I believe only rubygems does this because it uses a ruby version of tar.

> * When release candidates are released, can you append something like
> "~rc1" to the tar file? This help debian auto tools to check new
> releases.

There's also a problem with how Rake and/or rubygems likes its version numbers.  It won't accept ~rc1 style endings for various design reasons.

> * Finally,  I got this great idea for Mongrel.  All you have to do is
> completely change the internal processing, add 200 more methods to the
> HTTP parser, and... no. Just joking. Just the other 3 would be great!

Ha!

> The Debian ruby-extras team has a page[1] dedicated to upstream
> developers, where those and other things that help *nix distributions
> are described.

I'll give you guys a slight clue though.  Mongrel is packaged on lots of other operating systems.  So far OSX, SuSE, FreeBSD, Win32, Fedora and probably more I don't know anything about.  Not a single one of them asked me to change the project setup to accommodate their build systems.  OSX asked me to change the license but that's it.

If Debian has to ask people to change their projects, then maybe there's something wrong with Debian's build system.  I know Debian folks can *never* admit there might be something wrong, but just consider it.  There might just be some improvement you could make to be as capable as the other OS out there.

Just a thought.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/