[Mongrel] Anyway to "dynamically" start/stop mongrel based on web traffic?

Jason LaRiviere jason at indelicate.net
Wed Jan 10 17:43:38 EST 2007

Philip Hallstrom wrote:
> Then I could either kill off the mongrel later if no traffic was coming
> in.
> Or perhaps mongrel itself could stay running, but unload (and free the
> ram) of rails until a request came in, then load it back up for awhile
> until traffic stopped and unload it...

What you're talking about is inetd functionality for a rails process. If
you're on a sane unix, you could probably make that happen. Take a look
at /etc/inetd.conf, or your version thereof.

Whether it is a good idea or not, well, that's another matter. I'm
inclined to say not. :-)
GPG/PGP key ID: 0x3A410DBD | http://pgp.mit.edu
7B3F 4505 7D9A 7FDE 83C9  52C2 4909 59B9 3A41 0DBD