[Mongrel] Anyway to "dynamically" start/stop mongrel based on web traffic?

Philip Hallstrom mongrel at philip.pjkh.com
Wed Jan 10 17:21:46 EST 2007

Hey all -

I've got a question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere and was
wondering if anyone has put any thought into it or not...

Here's my setup... I have several *small* sites running apache/mongrel.
Each has a single mongrel instance.  Most don't get any traffic (no one
reads my blog :).

And I was thinking, I could host a couple of more sites/projects without
worrying about ram if I could find a way have all my mongrels be off until
a request came in... then apache (or some other server) could block until
it could get mongrel started, then keep processing the request.

Then I could either kill off the mongrel later if no traffic was coming

Or perhaps mongrel itself could stay running, but unload (and free the
ram) of rails until a request came in, then load it back up for awhile
until traffic stopped and unload it...

So.. I guess I'm wondering if anyone's done anything like this or if it is
possible and if so what the best way to go about it might be?  I'd be
willing to help (if I can, but not sure how likely that is :)

It would be nice to have my little apps that get little traffic not suck
up so much ram while "idle"..