[Mongrel] Mongrel/Rails weird problem with methods

Paul King cronald at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 11:59:40 EST 2007

Hi Zed,

> > NoMethodError in Profiles#change_interests
> > private method `equal?' called for #<Interest:0xb767ae8c>

> > On another box with the same mongrel gem versions, it works fine.  A
> > week later I'm asking in desperation, what have I broken?!

> If it works in one place, but not in another, then you have to find out what the difference
> is between the two systems.  I think you've probably got a gem or a version of a gem in
> one but not the other.  Do a gem list on both and then diff the results.  That'll tell you
> what's different.

Thanks for replying, I've finally gotten to the bottom of it.  I've
been using classifier (http://rubyforge.org/projects/classifier/) for
some bayesian experiments, which requires libgsl.

Seems that while rb-gsl (http://rb-gsl.rubyforge.org/) is installed,
my models break!
I've yet to work out why, but I also found that adding a stub to my
model temporarily fixed the problem:

def equal?( obj )

Maybe someone else will find this helpful, thanks again :)
- Paul