[Mongrel] Mongrel upload progress not showing progress on production server

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 19:39:06 EST 2007

On Feb 28, 2007, at 2:04 PM, Benjamin Jackson wrote:

> Hey Zed,
>
>> Honestly, the idea of upload progress done this way (with polling
>> http
>> requests) is a super bad idea in my book.  It's currently a hack to
>> work around a broken UI in the browser, so I try not to steer
>> people in
>> this direction.
>>
>> What you should do, if you're interested, is contact Ezra at
>> ez at engineyard.com as he does custom setups of this using Merb.  If
>> you
>> want to do it yourself, http://merb.devjavu.com/ has example code
>> in it
>> that you can use.
>
> What would you suggest to someone who needs to allow clients to upload
> files of more than a meg or two if not an upload progress script? It's
> difficult to tell someone that they'll need to stare at their monitor
> for a half hour to an hour while the upload churns on with no progress
> :P

	Using a flash uploader widget is the best way you can do this
currently. You can have a nice multiple uploads at a time flash
widget  that does the progress bar on the client side like it should
be. This means no polling *and* you get nice progress bars and can
select multiple files at once.

Cheers-
-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist