[Mongrel] Deployement options

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:02:42 EST 2007

On 2/28/07, Jeremy Kemper <jeremy at bitsweat.net> wrote:

> This is true. However, his assertion is valid: it's a must for any web app
> that uses blocking API calls, like executing queries using the native mysql
> and postgres clients. That's just life with Ruby threads.

I have oodles of dynamic web sites and applications that make blocking
API calls yet can still sustain hit rates in the 50-200/second range
(depending on the site) under a single mongrel.  They bear up just
fine to bursty traffic when people are checking their fund prices in
the evenings.

There are situations where clustering multiple backends is necessary,
for sure, but it's possible to handle an exceptional amount of
dynamic, db-interactive traffic in a single ruby process.

Kirk Haines