[Mongrel] Mongrel upload progress not showing progress on production server

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Feb 28 19:53:43 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:41:56 -0300
"Benjamin Jackson" <bhjackson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Zed,
>
> > > Thanks Zed. It is in fact behind nginx with gzip compression. How can
> > > I work around this? By increasing/decreasing the buffer size? Here's
> > > the relevant (I think) section of my nginx config:
> >
> > You can't.  Nginx's author is coming out with a version that fixes
> > this, but otherwise it's just inherent in the design.
> >
> > Your best bet actually is to just do these uploads to a completely
> > offline standalone Mongrel server so you don't tie up rails.  It's about
> > the only compromise there is other than just not doing it in the first
> > place.
>
> By "offline" you mean not serving rails, right? This would require the
> first of the two options presented on the site:

No, by "offline" I mean a separate server that uses only Mongrel (not
rails) to handle all uploads and just the upload/status part.  Using
iframes, redirects, and the session cookies with data stored in the db
it's possible to pull this off and nobody will know.  I've done it a
few times, and Ezra's got quite a few under his belt.

> > This is fine and dandy, but not too many sites run on a single Mongrel. You'll quickly
> > run into problems with multiple mongrels since only one Mongrel process knows about
> > the upload. You'll either have to specify a specific mongrel port to communicate with,
> > or set up a dedicated mongrel upload process. The third option, is use DRb.

Many sites however run single Mongrel's for single purposes.  This is
the great thing about a small fast web server.  You don't *have* to use
rails for everything, and can distribute the work to specialized
servers that do stuff like this in a lightweight fashion.  Basically,
it's not an either/or proposition.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/