[Mongrel] Mongrel upload progress not showing progress on production server

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Feb 28 12:17:57 EST 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:32:13 -0300
"Benjamin Jackson" <bhjackson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > If it's behind nginx or other servers (apache?) sometimes they buffer
> > the request before sending the status back.  Otherwise, grab firebug
> > and use it to see what is going on.
> Thanks Zed. It is in fact behind nginx with gzip compression. How can
> I work around this? By increasing/decreasing the buffer size? Here's
> the relevant (I think) section of my nginx config:

You can't.  Nginx's author is coming out with a version that fixes
this, but otherwise it's just inherent in the design.

Your best bet actually is to just do these uploads to a completely
offline standalone Mongrel server so you don't tie up rails.  It's about
the only compromise there is other than just not doing it in the first

Even if nginx changes it's request dispatching method, you'll still
have a problem with locking up rails for each of the polling requests.