[Mongrel] Mongrel performing only half as fast as Apache?

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 00:17:42 EST 2007

On 2/27/07, Christopher Bailey <chris at codeintensity.com> wrote:
> When you are testing Apache, is it configured exactly the same as when you
> are using it to front Mongrel?  i.e. do you have the mod_proxy_balancer
> module setup and configured, with Mongrel running, etc.?  I am doing that.
> So, it's likely I could get it faster if I didn't have any of that.

The configuration is identical, and this server is, at any given
moment in time, handling about 65 sites/apps so there are always other
requests being handled by Apache, and many other backend processes,
some of which are mongrels, alive at the same time.  It's always
pretty consistently delivered around the same number of requests per
second.

In any event, though, when running a (non-rails) mongrel only static
file delivery test, I get speeds a bit higher than what you reported.
ab and httperf report about the same numbers, and they are around 900,
give or take 50.  I just ran a few hundered thousand requests to pull
some solid current timings, and some 10 second bursts were as high as
1000 requests/second or as low as 800/second, but most were centered
around 900.

Kirk Haines