[Mongrel] Mongrel performing only half as fast as Apache?

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 20:42:06 EST 2007

On 2/27/07, Christopher Bailey <chris at codeintensity.com> wrote:

> What I'm running into is that Mongrel appears only half as fast as Apache
> when serving a small static HTML file.  If I then add in Apache with
> mod_proxy_balancer, going to a single Mongrel, it drops down to nearly about
> a third of what pure static Apache will do.  This seems bogus to me, and I
> suspect I have either some configuration problem, or something.  My
> understanding from what I've read is that Mongrel should be fairly close to
> Apache when serving static content (at least not only 50% as fast).  Is that
> right as a generalization?

That may not be far off at all, and that difference between going
directly to Mongrel versus going through Apache with proxying that you
report is about what I have seen.

> - Just Apache, num-conns=15000, ~1400 req/sec

That actually seems really slow.  My box is a lot slower than yours
(dual 2ghz 32 bit AMD processors on 2gb RAM, older kernel, slower
disk), and I get twice that speed through Apache (2.0) to a small
static file.  About 2800/second.

> - Direct to Mongrel on port 5000, num-conns=8000, ~740 req/sec

This is close to what I have seen in my direct-to-mongrel tests,
though I get speeds that are a little bit higher.  In the 800+
req/second range.  I don't think anything is wrong with your tests.

Kirk Haines