[Mongrel] Deployement options

Corey Donohoe atmos at atmos.org
Tue Feb 27 18:07:31 EST 2007

On 2/27/07, Paul King <cronald at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but might I ask what your
> hardware setup/config is for ten mongrels?
>
> Thanks,
> - Paul
>
> On 27/02/07, Pete DeLaurentis <pete at nextengine.com> wrote:
> >
> > Having multiple servers has been a must in my experience with Mongrel,
> > mainly because if a task is database / IO bound then other users have to
> > wait for it.
> >
> > I'm using Lighttpd => Pound => 10 Mongrels right now.
> >
> > Lighttpd just released a new version (1.5), which has the ability to
> > directly contact multiple mongrels.
> >
> > I'll likely upgrade to this later in the week.  Then I'll just have
> Lighttpd
> > => 10 Mongrels
> >

> > Hope this helps,
> > Pete
> >

> > On Feb 26, 2007, at 9:48 PM, tom wang wrote:
> >
> > After reading the digital shortcut and the
> > documentation on the web site I'm confused.
> > Which one should I use? pen, balance or nginx ?
> >
> > I don't want to use a behemoth like appache and ssl is
> > not needed so it reduces my choice to those three
> > only....
> >
> > What are the pros and cons of each? I don't have much
> > money, so the less ressources I use the better it is
> > for me....
> >
> > As an additional question, how far would a one server
> > configuration get me? I'm going to be serving a lot of
> > pictures and have some simple treatment of photos
> > (resizing and such)

You really wanna consider nginx.  Check their wiki on mongrel+rails
http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxRubyonRailsMongrel

It can do all yoru static images and you can add servers to your mongrel
cluster as needed.  It's gonna be a lot smaller than apache, and you can
easily do ssl with it if you want.