[Mongrel] Threshold of mongrel node processes

Ryan abstractryan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 02:01:41 EST 2007

Hi all:

New to the list. Im enjoying mongrel. Coming from a background of
weblogic clusters this is a dream. However I have a few questions:

I have used HTTPerf to analyze metrics for an application ( rails ). My
question pertains to the CPU utilization threshold:

1) Test with single mongrel server : sustained cpu util @ 98%

2) Test with 2 mongrel nodes in a mongrel cluster with apache and proxy
balancer: Each node sustained cpu util @ app. 45%

3) Test with 3 mongrel nodes in a mongrel cluster with apache and proxy
balancer: Each node sustained cpu util @ app 30%

As you can see it appears the the mongrel nodes on this server are going
for max cpu utilization.

My questions are these:

1) Is this normal behavior for mongrel?
2) Is there way to configure mongrel to only go after a threshold or
percentage of max cpu utilization?

thanks for any help!
Ryan