[Mongrel] Problems getting mongrel service working

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 09:30:47 EST 2007

On 2/26/07, Jens-Christian Fischer <jcfischer at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> psexec -l cmd.exe
> >
> > This will pop a new cmd.exe window, and try starting your application
> > (mongrel_rails start ...) from it.
> >
> > That console is the safest console you could get, and would show the
> > problems since you will be logging to STDOUT :-)
>
> we are getting there:
>
> this in a psexec'd shell:
>
> C:\Program Files\xxx\xxxx>mongrel_rails start
> ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000
> ** Starting Rails with development environment...
> C:/Program Files/ruby/bin/mongrel_rails: No such file or directory -
> uname
> C:/Program Files/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/
> active_record/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:120:in `log':
> SQLite3::SQLException: SQL logic error or missing database: INSERT
> INTO wantypes ("name", "bandwidth", "latency") VALUES('E1', 2048, 10)
> (ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid)

That's is good news! (err, well, they are actually).

> It seems, that SQLite does not find the database. I get a similar
> error when running the console.

Could you post info of your config/database.yml?
Also, you're using sqlite3-ruby gem? You *really* need this (there are
problems with the Ruby/DL binding of previous versions).

Also, sqlite3.dll must be in the PATH (I prefer put it
windows\system32 since I use with other tools).

Please note that versions higher than 3.3.7 of Sqlite3 have issues
with Rails, only solved in 1.2.2 (in your case didn't apply).

> HOWEVER: doing the following works:
>
>  > Wantype.find :all
> => [... array of wantypes ]
>
> while
>
>  >> w = Wantype.create( :name => 'gaga', :bandwidth => 12, :latency
> => 10)
> ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: SQLite3::SQLException: SQL logic
> error or missing database: INSERT INTO wantypes ("name", "bandwidth",
> "latency") VALUES('gaga', 12, 10)
>
> fails.
>
> That led me to examine the security properties for the log and db
> directory and the db files in it. Giving everybody full access to
> everything makes mongrel_rails start in the psexec shell.
>
> However:
> mongrel_service console single -e production -p 3000 -a 127.0.0.1 -l
> "log/mongrel.log" -P "log/mongrel.pid" -t 0 -r "public" -n 1024 -c "c:
> \Program Files\xxx\xxx"

Since console will run in the current user context (which differ from
psexec env.), I guess the problem is outside mongrel faults, and
specific to your environment... could you contact me via gtalk or msn?
(same username @hotmail.com).

> still fails. The server doesn't start, no log or pid files written.

No log or pid will be written, since that functionality isn't set in
the current version... will try to fix that ASAP.

> More ideas?

Contact me via IM and we could check whats happening.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems