[Mongrel] Problems getting mongrel service working

Jens-Christian Fischer jcfischer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 07:28:40 EST 2007

>> psexec -l cmd.exe
>
> This will pop a new cmd.exe window, and try starting your application
> (mongrel_rails start ...) from it.
>
> That console is the safest console you could get, and would show the
> problems since you will be logging to STDOUT :-)

we are getting there:

this in a psexec'd shell:

C:\Program Files\xxx\xxxx>mongrel_rails start
** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000
** Starting Rails with development environment...
C:/Program Files/ruby/bin/mongrel_rails: No such file or directory -
uname
C:/Program Files/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/
active_record/connection_adapters/abstract_adapter.rb:120:in `log':
SQLite3::SQLException: SQL logic error or missing database: INSERT
INTO wantypes ("name", "bandwidth", "latency") VALUES('E1', 2048, 10)
(ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid)

It seems, that SQLite does not find the database. I get a similar
error when running the console.

HOWEVER: doing the following works:

 > Wantype.find :all
=> [... array of wantypes ]

while

 >> w = Wantype.create( :name => 'gaga', :bandwidth => 12, :latency
=> 10)
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: SQLite3::SQLException: SQL logic
error or missing database: INSERT INTO wantypes ("name", "bandwidth",
"latency") VALUES('gaga', 12, 10)

fails.

That led me to examine the security properties for the log and db
directory and the db files in it. Giving everybody full access to
everything makes mongrel_rails start in the psexec shell.

However:
mongrel_service console single -e production -p 3000 -a 127.0.0.1 -l
"log/mongrel.log" -P "log/mongrel.pid" -t 0 -r "public" -n 1024 -c "c:
\Program Files\xxx\xxx"

still fails. The server doesn't start, no log or pid files written.

More ideas?

thanks for your help
jc