[Mongrel] Problems getting mongrel service working

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 18:44:48 EST 2007

On 2/25/07, Jens-Christian Fischer <jcfischer at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Users, Adminstrators and SYSTEM have "Full control" over the relevant
> folder.
> Ok, some progress:
> I removed everything and reinstalled Ruby 1.8.4 (down from 1.8.5)
> Even with the correct parameters (I checked, double checked and
> everything) I get the same results:
> * mongrel_rails .... -> Application runs
> * mongrel_service console single .... -> Can't connect to
> application. I looked at "netstat -a" and no process is bound to port
> 3000
> * service -> doesn't run
> Then on the same machine, I created a brand new application:
>  > rails test
>  > cd test
>  > mongrel_rails start -> Application runs
>  > mongrel_service console single -e development -p 3000 -a
> -l "log/mongrel.log" -P "log/mongrel.pid" -t 0 -r "public" -n 1024 -c
> "c:\Program Files\xxx\test" -B
> And now the application runs....  So there must be something in my
> application that makes it fail, when it's run as a service. Without
> any logfiles, that's pretty difficult to diagnose though...

Ok, what are you using in your application? any gems, libs?

Sorry for the logfiles, didn't have time to re implement them in the
new service executable (work was too much the past months).

> Any more ideas?

Yeah, download psexec [1] from Sysinternals, and using it start a new
cmd console with stripped rights:

>psexec -l cmd.exe

This will pop a new cmd.exe window, and try starting your application
(mongrel_rails start ...) from it.

That console is the safest console you could get, and would show the
problems since you will be logging to STDOUT :-)

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/psexec.mspx

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.