[Mongrel] Problems getting mongrel service working

Jens-Christian Fischer jcfischer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 17:26:10 EST 2007

Hi Luis

> Ok, at this point I should say what previously posted to the list:
> test the environment in the same conditions, with the same options!

I did :-)

> In your first mongrel_rails call, you let mongrel choose the default
> options for you. Under windows isn't possible right now, and debug
> information is disabled (by default).

ok - thanks, didn't realize that....

> You passed "-l log" which is invalid, since -l expect a file and
> not a folder.
> One important thing: -p is PORT parameter, and you used to pass your
> PID (-p log), which will generate some problems, please review you
> command parameters.

gnnnn - it was quite late when I tried this - sorry.

> Also, PLEASE REMEMBER that the default configuration for a service is
> run under NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account, and NOT YOUR account.
> That could show problems due NTFS permissions in your folders and/
> or files.

Users, Adminstrators and SYSTEM have "Full control" over the relevant

Ok, some progress:

I removed everything and reinstalled Ruby 1.8.4 (down from 1.8.5)

Even with the correct parameters (I checked, double checked and
everything) I get the same results:
* mongrel_rails .... -> Application runs
* mongrel_service console single .... -> Can't connect to
application. I looked at "netstat -a" and no process is bound to port
* service -> doesn't run

Then on the same machine, I created a brand new application:
 > rails test
 > cd test
 > mongrel_rails start -> Application runs
 > mongrel_service console single -e development -p 3000 -a
-l "log/mongrel.log" -P "log/mongrel.pid" -t 0 -r "public" -n 1024 -c
"c:\Program Files\xxx\test" -B

And now the application runs....  So there must be something in my
application that makes it fail, when it's run as a service. Without
any logfiles, that's pretty difficult to diagnose though...

Any more ideas?

thanks for your help