[Mongrel] Problems getting mongrel service working

Peter Boling peter.boling at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:09:05 EST 2007

Hello list!

I have mongrel service 0.1.0 working on my current production machine.
 Upgrading to a new server and also moving to mongrel service 0.3.1
has not worked yet.  I am hoping someone will have an idea as to why.

I have mongrel installed properly (I think):
C:\rails\igacc>gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

mongrel (1.0.1)
    A small fast HTTP library and server that runs Rails, Camping, Nitro
    and Iowa apps.

mongrel_service (0.3.1)
    Mongrel Native Win32 Service Plugin for Rails (debug build)

rails (1.2.2, 1.2.1)
    Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow layer,
    and ORM.

I install the service correctly (I think):

C:\rails\igacc>mongrel_rails service::install -N callcenter -p 4001 -e
production -c "C:\rails\igacc" -r "C:\rails\igacc" -l
"log/mongrel.log" -P "log/mongrel.pid" -t 0 -n 1024 -a "http://localhost:4001"
Mongrel service 'callcenter' installed as 'callcenter'.

I attempt to start the service correctly (I think):

C:\rails\igacc>net start callcenter
The callcenter service is starting.
The callcenter service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

I appear to have a working setup.  When I start mongrel_rails I get a
working site:

C:\rails\igacc>mongrel_rails start -p 4001 -e production
** Starting Mongrel listening at
** Starting Rails with production environment...
** Rails loaded.
** Signals ready.  INT => stop (no restart).
** Mongrel available at
** Use CTRL-C to stop.

Ruby looks good:

C:\rails\igacc>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i386-mswin32]

irb(main):001:0> exit

My program loads in the console fine:

C:\rails\igacc>ruby script/console production
>> exit

Any ideas? I am stumped.

* l*eter H. l3oling
* Web Application Designer - PanEther, LLC
* email:      peter.boling at gmail.com
* blog:        http://galtzo.blogspot.com/
* languages:  English, Spanish, Portuguese