[Mongrel] Critical Issue - Site down...

Kyle Kochis kylekochis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 18:24:04 EST 2007

I have set up a few VPS's with low ram (one had 128MB with no swap) a
couple mongrels behind nginx and it is rather fast and can handle it
well. The Rails app on that site is fairly small but uses file_upload
and rmagick and has never stalled in production (not saying i like
rmagick or anything). The traffic on it is fairly low but you can hit
it with httperf at 50 requests per second (10,000 request batch) and
it doesn't even slow down in response time too much. This site isn't
anything to brag about but I just want to make the point on what you
can do as long as you set things up correctly. if you are just running
single mongrel instance you shouldn't need very much ram, if you are
having problems that tells me that something else is amiss.

Kyle Kochis